Guidelines for Submitting Proof of Financial Support

International applicants for the Pardee RAND Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) are required by law to submit “Proof of Funds” or documentation that they have sufficient funds to cover the total program costs for their first year of study in the U.S. (one year of academic and living expenses) before a formal letter of admission and a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (Form I-20) will be issued. The Form I-20 is used to apply for a U.S. student visa.

Applicants (only after requested) must send Proof of Funds documentation to

Acceptable Documents for Proof of Funds

  • Bank/Financial Statements
    • Bank statements in your name showing account balance
    • Bank statements from private sponsors (e.g., parents)
  • Certificates/letters showing loans granted for education purposes (must include your name and amount of loan)
  • Bank letters or solvency certificates
  • Statements showing time/fixed/term deposits or government bonds available for withdrawal at any time
  • Employer, Government, or Organization sponsorships/scholarships

Proof of Funds Document Requirements

All Proof of Funds documents MUST have:

  • Date of issuance (no earlier than 6 months before the start of your first term at Pardee RAND)
  • Student’s name (or account holder’s name if sponsor is someone other than student)*
  • Official letterhead and must include signature/stamp of an administrative official (not required for bank statements)
  • Final available balance of individual liquid accounts or solvency amount (if amounts are shown in foreign currency,include conversion to U.S. dollars)
  • Certified, professional translations for all financial documents not issued in English

* If the account holder(s) is someone other than student, include a sponsorship letter OR a confidential statement for financing studies. The letter must state the account holder and student’s name, current date, and relationship between student and sponsor. You may have more than one sponsor or source of funding. Please submit separate affidavit forms for each sponsor.

Documents NOT Accepted

  • Investments in fixed assets such as property, Demat accounts, mortgages, jewelry, residences, automobiles
  • Retirement funds, pensions, life insurance policies
  • Tax Returns
  • Salary/Payroll Statements
  • Pending or Provisional Educational Loans
  • Accountant portfolio
  • Candidate scholarship letters or scholarship applications
  • Funds that are not immediately accessible/not in liquidated form

If you have questions about submitting your Proof of Funds, please contact for assistance.