Savoury Millet Pie
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup millet
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced potato
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 whole cloves
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- two 9-inch pastry/pie shells
- 1 egg beaten (optional)
- Bring 1 cup of water and oats to a boil in a sauce pan, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until water is absorbed.
- In a separate sauce pan, bring 1 1/2 cups water and millet to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until water is absorbed and millet is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine oats, millet, onion, carrot, celery, potato, safflower oil, tamari, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, salt and black pepper together in a large bowl and mix well.
- Press 1 pie crust pastry into a 9-inch pie pan. Pour filling into pie crust. Top with second pie crust pastry and pinch edges together. Pierce a few areas of the top crust to allow pie to ventilate during baking. Brush top crust with beaten egg (optional).
- Bake pie for about 40 minutes in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool before serving.