Sorghum and Fresh Cowpeas
The following ingredients make one portion; multiply as needed.
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum
- 1 cup fresh cowpeas
- 2 cups water
- pinch of salt (optional)
- olive oil (optional, to taste)
- 1 large onion
- Wash the sorghum in a metallic strainer until clean.
- In a medium sauce pan, add 2 cups of clean water and the sorghum.
- In a separate bowl, wash the cowpeas; add to the sorghum and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat until they are both tender and ready, 40-50 minutes. Confirm readiness by pressing the cowpeas between the fingertips.
- Drain water if any is left.
- Fry onions in a separate pan until golden brown, then add the cooked sorghum and cowpeas. Stir well for the ingredients to mix, add the spices, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve as is, or modify to taste.